Sunday 4 March 2012

The controversial Queer theory

Probably one of the world's most controversial theory is that of the queer theory which is apparently advocated the most by our very professor Contreras. I view this theory as part of the empowerment  movement coming from Feminism. From this theory we see one of the most powerful signs of adaptation of the marginalized in order to fit themselves well within the mainstream called patriarchy. One method that men notice is the rise of number of those buff gay people. These rise of gay men invading the epitome of manliness, the gym debunks the ongoing stereotypes of gays being those often outrageous looking cross dressers who act like little girls. As a gay friend of mine one's stated "Don't treat me like a woman, I am not one, rather treat me as who I am." They do not share the same sentiments, nor do they share the same values, which why I find it odd that we discriminate them just the same. Of course, admittedly I am homophobic, and I do discriminate but this theory enabled me to be just a bit more tolerant of such people much like the friend I quoted above.  

No comments:

Post a Comment